Thursday, January 5, 2012

Portlandia? Portlandia!

Sick ... sick ... SICK!

While perusing the film/movie/show choices on Hulu, I came across a title - Portlandia. What? I had not heard of it. This is what I like about not having cable access; I discover some program new to me (although the whole rest of the world could have known about it for years) and that completely delights me. I hate being bombarded by commercials, plus the hefty cable bill, in which you are paying for an awful lot of nothing. Unless you also own a tivo or other recording device, you must be a slave to the cable schedules ... not for me. I don't like commercials and schedules, but I do love me some good TV.

Could it be, a program that actually spoofs on Portlanders ... Portlandians? If so, it could be either funny to me, or not. I wanted to be surprised, so I didn't look it up for more information, but simply watched an episode. Well, it was funnier to me that what I could have imagined. The Portlandia attitude - do I relate because I once lived in Oregon for several years, and knew people who lived Portland? Or is this Portland attitude all over, but found in a much higher concentration in Portland?

Regardless, I recommend watching at least one episode. They are only free to watch on hulu for a little while longer, as the new season starts on January 21, on IFC/Independent Film Channel, and that is when they will stop being posted for watching on hulu.

Portlandia: Season One was released on dvd in December, 2011, if you miss the free play online.

ps - I must add something ... you do have to tolerate commercials on hulu. I tolerate them because I am watching for free, yes for free! Free, in this case, is not freedom from commercials. It is pretty much standard everywhere one goes on the intarwebs these days. I just turn off the volume and do something else for a few moments... and tell myself, "It's free!"

I guess it is true - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

2 comments: